"One of the greatest feelings in life is the conviction that you have
lived the life you wanted to live--with the rough and the smooth, the good and
the bad--but yours, shaped by your own choices, and not someone else's."

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Our Kids

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month.
There are few things in my life that I am more passionate about than children. Very Few. I believe in the very core of my being that children really are our future.
I could fill this post with all kinds of statistics on how many children are abused and neglected (and trust me-it is a lot) but I won't. You can google that.
Here is what I will tell you:
In my career working for Family and Children Services I work with abused and neglected children (primarily teenagers) every day. The following are word for word some of the questions my kids have asked me:
"Miss M., do you think anyone will every love me?"
"Will I ever have somewhere to live forever?"
"Why doesn't anyone like me enough to take me out to eat or to a ballgame?"
So I am passing the questions on to you, not just for the month of April but throughout the months and years ahead. Will you make sure they know they are loved? Will you provide a home where they can live forever? Will you become a mentor and make sure that they know they are valued and loved and liked?
It is our responsibility after all. Yes, I said OUR responsibility. And if you think it is not your responsibility, you are sadly mistaken friend. If we don't take care of these wonderful children, children that just need a shot at life, a chance to show who they really are now. . .we and they will pay for it later. These are our future lawyers, doctors, child advocates, small business owners, military personnel, hair stylists, and the list goes on. If we do not nurture them NOW, let them know beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are loved NOW, and care for them NOW, their futures could be in jeopardy. And if I know anything it is this: If their future is in jeopardy, then most certainly our future is in jeopardy.
So I challenge you to do your part. Wear a blue ribbon this month. Donate to organizations that help and support these children and foster parents. Offer to cook dinner for a foster parent and their families. If you are in a position to, become a foster parent. Be a mentor. Get involved. Do something. Know the reward of knowing these kids. Because I promise it is sooo worth it.
Yes, these children, these amazing, wonderful children are going to change the world. It is up to us to be sure it is going to be for the better.
To find out more about the Children's Memorial Flag pictured at the beginning of this post click here. If you want more ideas of how you can help or to get statistics about child abuse and neglect in your own communities, the internet is full of information. I am also happy to assist you in efforts to get involved. Just send me a message and let's get this conversation started. NOW. Not later. After all, all of our futures depend on it!
Wishing you the awesome joy of getting involved and knowing these children,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment