"One of the greatest feelings in life is the conviction that you have
lived the life you wanted to live--with the rough and the smooth, the good and
the bad--but yours, shaped by your own choices, and not someone else's."

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On Gratitude

Every Monday (well most Mondays) my closest friends (The Nine) and I exchange a "Grateful List."  In it we tell the five things that we are most grateful for that week.  We have slacked off during some periods of our lives but have managed to keep it going for the most part since we met in college almost 10 years ago.  Of course the lists vary, during tougher weeks sometimes all we can muster up is "that I am still alive" and other times the lists go on well beyond 5 things, including things like our families, pets, warm weather, cold weather, Christmas lights etc. 

The point is that we try to take time out to think about what we are grateful for and share them with each other.  It is the very core of our friendship and the very thing that I believe has kept us so close even as we have moved all over the world (currently, we live in 3 different cities in GA, Washington D.C, Alabama, Texas and Scotland) and started families, careers, completed grad school, etc. and yet, we still get together at least once a year and e-mail on a weekly basis.

In that spirit I have decided to change the purpose of this blog (maybe it will also help me blog more ;)).  Of course, there will still be stories and photographs but the purpose of the blog will be to share things that I am grateful for.  I believe it will also make me be more intentional about being grateful.  And I encourage you to do the same.  Keep a grateful list.  It will change your life if you allow it.  It has certainly changed mine and I believe taking that time to think about what I am grateful for, makes me the happy person I am today.

And so, today, I am grateful for Nature.  Sometimes we need a reminder to slow down a bit.  And with the ice/snow storm here in Georgia....we have had no choice but to slow down.


My Beautiful, Deserted, Icy Street.

Wishing you the joy of knowing true gratitude and slowing down,
~M~

1 comment: